While many businesses are struggling to keep their doors open due to the current COVID-19 situation, it’s possible that restaurants have a much better chance to sustain their revenue and reduce operating costs. Why? Because people everywhere still have the need to eat and would love to continue to order from their favorite restaurants if they are provided with a safe opportunity to do so. To meet this need, restaurateurs can introduce methods of takeout with minimal human interaction for their customers, such as curbside pickup.
So how exactly can you do this? The first step is to choose an online ordering provider that provides a website and mobile-responsive app which allows you to quickly roll out curbside pickup services. What exactly does that mean? Customers will be able to order their favorite meal remotely through a mobile-responsive website or app, pay online through a secure payment processor, and select a delivery method (to-go, delivery, or curbside pickup). When the curbside pickup option is selected, the customer can drive to the restaurant’s parking spot and have the restaurant’s staff deliver their meal to their vehicle.
Sounds nifty doesn’t it? By offering curbside pickup, you offer many benefits to your customers. Here are three main reasons your customers will love curbside pickup:
1. No Human Interaction During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Many governors have warned the public about how human interaction is a key reason why the COVID-19 virus spreads. Therefore, customers will likely avoid walking into your restaurant and ordering over the counter. Instead, consider providing them the convenient, appealing option of mobile ordering and curbside pickup. Put yourself in the shoes of the customer for a second: Wouldn’t you like the option to drive up to a restaurant and not even have to get out of the car while the food is being prepared, and then have the meal delivered right to you? Of course, you would!
2. Simple Pickup and Drive-Off
Not only will your customers find it convenient to have a curbside pickup option during times of crisis, but they will enjoy it long-term, as well. Think about it – who wouldn’t love the convenience of only having to drive and park near your restaurant to receive food and not have to do anything else?
3. Guaranteed Line-Buster
Long lines are something that burden the minds of customers and employees alike. For customers, a long waiting time can be frustrating and for employees, long lines mean extra stress and pressure to place every order correctly in a timely fashion. With online ordering and curbside pickup however, you can stop worrying about having long lines because customers will likely naturally prefer a convenient method of ordering as opposed to standing in line for a long period of time.
Curbside Pickup Tips
A few tips you can remember when rolling out curbside pickup are:
- Ensure that your customers have a convenient location to park in while waiting for their order which is also easy for your staff to find.
- Enable online payments to make the entire process convenient for your customers.
- Use appropriate packaging for your food to ensure hot items stay hot, cold items stay cold, and liquids don’t spill about anywhere. Also, make sure the packaging is covered properly with no air contamination.
- Ensure that pickup happens with as little human interaction as possible. One idea to consider is delivering the items to the backseat so that there is minimal interaction.
Features to Look for in an Online Ordering and Curbside Solution
- Custom-Branded Mobile App: A mobile app can be a great marketing tool for your restaurant in addition to being a golden ticket in terms of convenient remote ordering for your customers. With the presence of your mobile application in Google Play and the Apple App Store, more customers will become aware of your restaurant and be tempted to try it. Couple that with other benefits such as being able to offer exclusive promotions to customers, send push notifications featuring special deals, and advertise your entire menu online, and a custom-branded mobile app is clearly a smart business decision.
- Fully Functional and Seamless Ordering Website: A website serves as a great tool for your customers to order their favorite food from any location, and it can also help to increase customer engagement and publicity. You can also add special offers to your online ordering website, including the latest deals, discount codes, and other rewards. A smooth and convenient ordering option will certainly be something that both you and your customers love and benefit from.
- Easy and Secure Payment Options: Security is priority when it comes to online ordering. Ensure you choose an online ordering and curbside pickup solution that allows your customers to make their payments in a convenient way, but also through a safe and secure gateway.
Applova’s curbside pickup solutions can help you do all the above – and more. Click here to discover how Applova can help your restaurant stay afloat during these challenging times, while also eliminating wait times, boosting loyalty and customer engagement, and more.
Curbside Pickup to Sustain Business During COVID-19
With the slowdown in business due to the outbreak, online ordering solutions provide a great way to sustain your restaurant by providing your customers with the smoothest, safest, and most efficient remote ordering solutions. By providing your customers with the option of obtaining their meals through curbside pickup by ordering via your restaurants’ mobile app or website, you can greatly reduce or remove the need for your customer to spend time physically at your restaurant. It’s truly a win-win for both your business and the customer (and the public at large).
The COVID-19 outbreak has adversely affected many businesses worldwide, and it’s extremely important that we all play a part in minimizing the impact caused by this virus by using the best measures to offset the reduction in revenue and protect the public’s safety
Free Resources During COVID-19 & Beyond
Now more than ever, safety is a priority in retail and hospitality environments. Star Micronics is proud to offer a line of solutions and resources for businesses during this challenging time, designed to keep consumers and employees safe, as well as mitigate business impact caused by COVID-19.