The holiday season has arrived! For millions of consumers that means preparing for family dinners, decorating homes, and of course, buying gifts for friends and loved ones. Is your small business ready to not just survive the holiday shopping season, but thrive in it?
In this blog post, we’ll take a deep dive into current holiday shopping season data, and share seven easy holiday promotions for small businesses.
Holiday Shopping Season Data
First, let’s explore just how much shoppers are spending on the holidays, what they’re purchasing, and where.
According to the National Retail Federation’s winter holiday survey:
- Holiday shoppers plan to spend 4% more this year
- Consumers say they will spend an average of $1,048 this holiday season for items such as decorations, candy, gifts, and more
- $659 is expected to be spent on gifts,
- $227 is expected to be spent on non-holiday purchases, like food and decorations,
- And $162 is slated to be spent on non-gift purchases for themselves and their families
- Shoppers between the ages of 35 and 44 plan to spend the most at $1,158.63
- 91% of consumers plan to celebrate the winter holidays this year
- 73% plan to use their smartphone or tablet to research or make a purchase
- 19% are early bird shoppers who started in September (or earlier!)
- Women are significantly more likely than men to wish for gift cards (67% vs. 50%)
- 48% of shoppers plan to leverage buy online, pick up in store (BOPIS)
- Holiday sales are forecasted to grow between 3.8% and 4.2%
- Holiday sales will increase to a total of between $727.9 billion and $730.7 billion this year, excluding automobile dealers, gasoline stations and restaurants
7 Easy Holiday Promotions for Small Businesses
From Small Business Saturday to New Years, the Star team has taken it upon ourselves to provide easy, ready-to-use holiday promotions for small businesses to leverage – all you need is a Star Micronics receipt printer!
With Star’s free, cloud-based marketing software, PromoPRNT, you can easily customize premade templates which print on the bottom of the receipt, sure to be seen by those who are holiday shopping (and those who plan to be in the near future). All you need to do is add your store name, and any other applicable information (a special product to promote, store hours, etc.) Promotions can be used to simply inform customers of an upcoming sale, or direct them to your website, social media accounts, and more.
The below templates for Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, Cyber Monday, Giving Tuesday, New Years, and a general winter sale are now available and ready for you to customize in PromoPRNT: