COVID-19 has quickly become one of the biggest challenges our modern world has faced. The pandemic has rocked the global community, and we as a society are adapting by redefining how we interact. Our daily habits which have been built over decades are changing to ensure the public’s safety, and as a reseller now is the time to consider how you can help your customers move forward safely and efficiently.
One of the most important factors in successfully navigating this new normal is learning about what tools are available to overcome the challenges presented by COVID-19, and one of these tools is the self-service kiosk. Because the kiosk industry is becoming more refined and relevant on a daily basis, it is becoming more important than ever for resellers to offer a full range of kiosk services, including everything from installation services to post-sale support.
In this blog post, we will explore why resellers should offer kiosk services and support, especially during such a critical time for businesses.
Why Should Resellers Offer Kiosk Service and Support?
Simply put, offering kiosk services is critical because the self-service industry is expected to boom as the world defines its new way of doing business and living life.
Self-service solutions were already on the rise, but now that contactless interaction is preferred and social distancing is ingrained in daily life, self-service is expected to flood our space. It is important to note that self-service is slated to grow in some verticals where it was never considered before.
Many technologies that previously only existed as concepts are now becoming valuable and accepted as building blocks for our new normal. Some of these technologies include:
- Biometric Access Control: Access control solution providers are considering replacing fingerprint readers with contactless technologies like vein pattern biometric authentication. In addition to being less intrusive in nature, some of these solutions may also even be more accurate than their predecessors.
- Contactless Interaction: Touch-free is here to stay, and fully voice-activated kiosks which allow users to interact in a safe, contactless manner and incorporate new AI technologies will likely increase in popularity.
- Health Screening and Disinfection: With the pandemic comes a new set of public health priorities, and self-service solutions can help. Full-body thermal scanners can be used to prevent people with a fever from accessing populated spaces, and antibacterial gel dispensers can be integrated with existing kiosks to provide disinfection in use cases where, for now, contactless interaction is not an option.
- Digital Signage Communication: In many regions, businesses are required to comply with new occupancy regulations, and automated digital signage kiosks can be used to communicate an establishment’s capacity.
As these technologies evolve and thrive, it is important to offer kiosk hardware that enables quick and easy installation and maintenance. For example, a kiosk printer that includes remote status monitoring and the ability to troubleshoot various aspects of its operation from a centralized location will bring value to virtually any business.
How to Offer the Right Kiosk Service and Support
It’s likely that these new self-service solutions will become the norm, and it’s important to consider that your service and support offerings may also need to change. A surefire way to do this is to not only offer cutting-edge technology but to confirm you partner with self-service manufacturers that prioritize innovation and are dedicated to continuously improving the technologies they offer.
One example of what this might look like is Star Micronics’ StarPRNT SDK which offers peace of mind to ISVs and end-users alike through the following features:
- Future-proof development tools
- Compatibility with all operating systems and platforms
- Remote monitoring of kiosk printer paper status (low or no paper)
- The ability to detect if the kiosk printer is offline or is experiencing operating issues
- And more
In the self-service industry, many things are changing and will continue to change for some time. Kiosk integrators and manufacturers need to rely more than ever on fully customizable and easy-to-integrate components like world-class SDKs, platform-agnostic integration technologies, and best-in-class hardware for mission critical processes. Service and support for each of these factors is a key part of a sustainable solution and should be considered from day 1 when planning a go-to market strategy.
How Star Micronics is Innovating During COVID-19 and Beyond
As time passes and kiosk solutions become the new normal across the globe, Star Micronics is dedicated to continuously innovating to help businesses seamlessly navigate these changes. We will continue to integrate printing components with advanced tools like our universal SDK, as well as cloud-based and browser-enabled printing technologies, allowing the next generation of solutions to emerge.
As a reseller, consider consulting with experienced integrators and manufacturers like Star Micronics during every stage of your kiosk service and support project to guarantee you deliver solutions that help your customers seamlessly stay current with today’s new standards.