It’s hard to believe that RSPA RetailNOW 2021 was already two weeks ago, but the memory of it is still fresh here at Star Micronics. After the unprecedented year that 2020 was, I was very grateful to attend RetailNOW this year. Whether you want to reminisce, or perhaps you missed the show and want to catch up, read on to explore my key takeaways from RetailNOW 2021.
More VARs Registered Than in 2019!
And what an accomplishment that is! The show’s successful VAR registration rate is most certainly a nod to the RSPA’s rich digital education and resources, including Community Roundtables and Panels, and of course the RSPA Blog.
RSPA Academy Excelerate
This new, education program was developed by the RSPA, with the help of their members, so you know it’s going to be good! With a curriculum that is specific to the retail IT channel, Excelerate participants will learn tips about sales, cybersecurity, customer service, recruiting and hiring, and more. Better yet, the program is free to all RSPA members and is live now!
The Cannabis Boom
Not surprisingly given how hot of a market it is, cannabis was a hit at the show with its own education track, and there was an impressive turnout at the Cannabis Community Welcome Reception.
Keynote: Jon Taffer of Bar Rescue
There’s no denying it: the keynote session by Jon Taffer of “Bar Rescue” was a blast. If you haven’t seen it, “Bar Rescue” is a TV show where a select bar/restaurant is remodeled in four days. That’s right: an entire establishment undergoes recon, redesign, order placement operations, menu redesign, and a reopening – in four days!
Not only was Jon entertaining, but he also made some great points including:
- Why people fail: Simply put, Jon reminded us that most people fail because of making excuses. He advised that instead of being in denial, own your excuses and own your failure.
- “The Click”: In this instance, “the click” refers to when shoppers turn from purchasing goods or food in-store, to purchasing online. Jon explains that the goal should not be to follow “the click,” but to give people a reason – through wonderful and immersive shopping experiences – to not use “the click.”
- Reaction Management: You know what they say: first impressions are everything. As Jon explained, the reaction people have when their food is delivered or when they open a product is key, and is what makes repeat sales.
Women’s Network in Electronic Transactions (WNET) Event
Sponsored by RSPA’s NextGen, Women-to-Women (W2W), and Canadian Communities, the WNET event was a success. WNET’s mission is to help women in payments to achieve professional and personal success. At this event, the WNET leaders discussed include conscious inclusion and its ability to increase company success. This event was not only a standard presentation, but an interactive workshop that helped all attendees recognize their unconscious bias and how to continuously recognize and improve on them. They also gave an incredible roadmap on how to address and talk about these topics in the workplace.
The Rising Stars Podcast | RetailNOW Recap: Education, Sponsors, and Emerging Trends
Looking to learn more about RetailNOW 2021? Look no further than the Rising Stars podcast! In our episode published August 4, 2021, host Brianna Moriarty as she takes a deep dive into the hottest trends she spotted at the show, and interviews special guests including RSPA’s President and CEO, John Kirk, as well as TRG’s Adam Jatich and Worldnet Payments’ Sabina Osorio.
Listen now or click here to browse all episodes:
Star at RetailNOW 2021
The Star team had a blast at RetailNOW 2021. We proudly demonstrated some of our latest solutions in our booth, including:
- mC-Print3 with CloudPRNT
- mPOP® with Flat Bill cash management
- TSP654IISK sticky label printer
- Antimicrobial covers
- Universal mEnclosure
- POS software solutions from Appspensary and eatOS
Star Micronics Product Catalog
Star provides various solutions across the technology spectrum, from native to cloud-based apps.