My Account

Weights and Measures Information California

You are here:
;CA Image

Weights and Measures information

Please contact Weights & Measures

Phone: (916) 229-3000



The calibration of your new NTEP scale has to be completed by a registered service agent.

A List of service agents can be found HERE.

These service agencies must be certified by California’s Department of Weights & Measures. 


You will need to register your scale with the state of California.

This should be done during the Service Company’s visit. 

The Placed in Service form should be completed and given to the local county office.

The Placed in Service form can be found HERE.

You can find the correct county liaison HERE.


Each year the certified scale will be inspected by an employee of the Weights & Measures department.

The business is responsible for ensuring that the scale remains properly calibrated.

It is recommended that a service company recalibrates the scale each year.

Related Materials

NTEP Certification Search

NIST Handbook 44 (2018 Edition)

Certificate of Conformance #17-152A1

Certified Service Agencies

Placed in Service Form

County Liaison

Was this article helpful?
How can we improve this article?
Please submit the reason for your vote so that we can improve the article.
Need more help?

Table of Contents