My Account

How can we help?

You can search our knowledge base to find answers to the most common questions.

Weights and Measures information Illinois

You are here:

Everything you need to know for Illinois

Weights and Measures information

Please contact Weights & Measures

Phone: (217) 785-8301


;IL Image


A Registered Repair Company needs to be contacted to have your scale certified by the state.

A list of registered companies can be found HERE.

The service company will perform an inspection of the scale after calibration.

Then the company will complete a placed-in-service form which will inform the Office of Weights & Measures that your scale has been set up.

An inspector will visit the business annually to test the scale. 


Calibration needs to be completed by a registered Service Company.

The same company can install, calibrate, and seal the mG-Scale in the same visit. 


Yearly maintenance is recommended for NTEP scales. 

A Service Company should recalibrate the scale every year to ensure proper calibration. 

The Office of Weights & Measures will send an inspector to the business each year to test the scale.

If a scale fails inspection the business is subject to fine. 

Related Materials

NTEP Certification Search

NIST Handbook 44 (2018 Edition)

Certificate of Conformance #17-152A1

Certified Service Companies

Illinois NIST Certification

Illinois Weights & Measures Act

Illinois Weights & Measures Rules

Was this article helpful?
How can we improve this article?
Please submit the reason for your vote so that we can improve the article.
Need more help?

Table of Contents