My Account

How can we help?

You can search our knowledge base to find answers to the most common questions.

Weights and Measures information Maryland

You are here:

Everything you need to know for Maryland

Weights and Measures information

Please contact Weights & Measures

Phone: 410-841-5790


;MD Image


An NTEP scale can be registered either online using the Maryland Weights & Measures Portal or by mail using the Registration & Renewal Application

The business will need to register with the state in order to get on the inspector’s list of stores to visit.

Each year the mG-Scale’s registration will need to be renewed using the Registration & Renewal Application.

For any other questions contact the Office of Weights & Measures.


It is required by the state to have a certified Service Company install and calibrate any NTEP certified scale.

You can find a company through the certified Scale Service Company page.

The Service Company will report back to the Department of Weights & Measures.

Weights and Measures will send out an officer to inspect the scale and seal it. 


It is recommended to have a Service Company recalibrate your scale each year.

The scale must be accurate when the inspector comes to test the scale.

If the scale fails the business is subject to fine

Related Materials

NTEP Certification Search

NIST Handbook 44 (2018 Edition)

Certificate of Conformance #17-152A1

Online Registration & Renewal

Paper Registration & Renewal

Certified Service Companies


Was this article helpful?
How can we improve this article?
Please submit the reason for your vote so that we can improve the article.
Need more help?

Table of Contents