My Account

Weights and Measures information Ohio

You are here:

Everything you need to know for Ohio

Weights and Measures information

Please contact Weights & Measures

Phone: 614-728-6290



;OH Image


In the state of Ohio, only a registered service person can open the scale box, turn the scale on, calibrate the scale and place the scale in service.

You can find a Registered Serviceperson HERE.

They must be registered with the State.


Ohio state law requires NTEP scale to be registered with the Department of Weights and Measures.

After the scale has been properly calibrated by a Certified Serviceperson, you must contact the local jurisdiction

You can search for your local department HERE.

An appointment will need to be made for an inspector to visit the store. 

If the scale passes they will certify the scale and re-certify the scale each year 

The business will also have to complete the Device Permit Application.

The form can be found HERE.


To prepare for the yearly inspect it is recommended to have a Registered Serviceperson recalibrate the scale.

Please refer to the list of Registered Servicepersons

Related Materials

NTEP Certification Search

NIST Handbook 44 (2018 Edition)

Certificate of Conformance #17-152A1

Registered Serviceperson List

Device Permit Application

Local Jurisdiction Lookup

Was this article helpful?
How can we improve this article?
Please submit the reason for your vote so that we can improve the article.
Need more help?

Table of Contents